- 1 What did Ignatius of Loyola’s Spiritual Exercises reveal?
- 2 When was the Spiritual Exercises of St Ignatius approved?
- 3 What are the Ignatian principles?
- 4 How many rules for discernment did St Ignatius Loyola include in the Spiritual Exercises?
- 5 What does spiritual exercise mean?
- 6 How do you do the Ignatian Examen?
- 7 How do you pray the daily examen?
- 8 What is the meaning of Magis?
- 9 What is discernment in Ignatian Spirituality?
- 10 What is the Ignatian prayer?
- 11 What are the Ignatian value?
- 12 How do you practice discernment?
- 13 What does discernment mean?
- 14 What are the seven attitudes or qualities required for an authentic discernment process?
What did Ignatius of Loyola’s Spiritual Exercises reveal?
Spiritual viewpoint Ignatius identified the various motives that lead a person to choose one course of action over another as “spirits”. A major aim of the Exercises is the development of discernment (discretio), the ability to discern between good and evil spirits. “Discernment” is very important to Ignatian thought.
When was the Spiritual Exercises of St Ignatius approved?
At Manresa he sketched the fundamentals of his little book The Spiritual Exercises. Until the close of his studies at Paris (1535), he continued to make some additions to it. Thereafter there were only minor changes until Pope Paul III approved it in 1548.
What are the Ignatian principles?
General principles Ignatian spirituality has been described as a spirituality of finding God’s will for better decision making. According to Hans Urs von Balthasar, “choice” is the center of the Exercises. Their original objective was the question of the choice of a state of life.
How many rules for discernment did St Ignatius Loyola include in the Spiritual Exercises?
Ignatius ‘ guidelines for the discernment of spirits fall into four major categories: (1) seven attitudes or personal qualities required for an authentic discernment of spirits, (2) three different “times” or conditions during which decisions are made, (3) seven practical techniques which can be helpful in the
What does spiritual exercise mean?
Spiritual exercises may refer to: Any spiritual practice dedicated towards increasing one’s personal spiritual capacity.
How do you do the Ignatian Examen?
The Daily Examen
- Prepare your heart and mind. Center yourself by lighting a candle or taking a few deep breaths.
- Review the day with gratitude. Think back through the events of your day, noting the joys and delights.
- Pay attention to your emotions.
- Select a part of your day to pray over.
- Pray for tomorrow.
How do you pray the daily examen?
The Examen: A Daily Prayer
- Thanksgiving. What am I especially grateful for in the past day…
- Petition. I am about to review my day; I ask for the light to know God and to know myself as God sees me.
- Review. Where have I felt true joy today?
- A Look Ahead.
What is the meaning of Magis?
Magis (pronounced “màh-gis”) is a Latin word that means “more” or “greater”. It is related to ad majorem Dei gloriam, a Latin phrase meaning “for the greater glory of God”, the motto of the Society of Jesus. Magis refers to the philosophy of doing more for Christ, and therefore doing more for others.
What is discernment in Ignatian Spirituality?
Discernment involves prayer and weighing facts and feelings about the several good choices which ultimately leads to a choice about what is the best fit for an individual. In the traditional language of Christianity, good Christians try to find the will of God for their lives.
What is the Ignatian prayer?
“Take, Lord, receive all my liberty, my memory, my understanding, my whole will, all that I have and all that I possess. You gave it all to me, Lord; I give it all back to you. Do with it as you will, according to your good pleasure. Give me your love and your grace; for with this I have all that I need.”
What are the Ignatian value?
Values commonly found in Ignatian spirituality are core values of the Gospel, such as authenticity, integrity, courage, love, forgiveness, hope, healing, service and justice.
How do you practice discernment?
Begin now to take on discernment as a deliberate practice. Practice entering into conversation with God about the little things in your life. Practice learning to listen – He may not speak to you like he speaks to others. Don’t expect to necessarily be able to hear immediately if you’ve never listened before.
What does discernment mean?
1: the quality of being able to grasp and comprehend what is obscure: skill in discerning. 2: an act of perceiving or discerning something.
What are the seven attitudes or qualities required for an authentic discernment process?
Conclusion: Having these seven essential attitudes of openness, generosity, interior freedom, prayerful reflection on experience, having one’s priorities straight, and not confusing ends with means, the discerner has their satellite dish pointed in the right direction in order to receive God’s signals.